Controlling house dust mites in mattresses, killing dust mites mattresses
During the night, when you sleep, your body sheds lots of dead skin cells. Unfortunately, tiny organisms living and thriving in house dust, called house dust mites, feed on your dead skin cells and breed in your mattress. However, you are able to decrease the chances of developing an allergy to the house dust mites by taking some precautions.
For starting you will need vacuum cleaner with HEPA filtration, damp mop or rag, dust mite spray and a dust mite encasing.
1. First buy special fitted sheets which are made of plastic – they will help you manage the dust mite population in your mattress. These sheets are called dust mite encasings, and they work by encapsulating the mites from your linen and the rest of the bedding, thus effectively cutting them off their food (which is actually you, as they feed on your dead skin). Today’s plastic sheets are covered with flannel or cotton from the outside, so they are much more comfortable than the older versions.
2. In order to manage the dust mite population, it is recommended to vacuum your mattress every few weeks, preferably using a HEPA filter. Vacuum thoroughly between the box springs and mattress, and clean all the edges of the mattress coming in contact with walls. It’s also useful to vacuum the carpeting under your bed, but even better will be to remove all the carpeting from your bedroom and replace it with hardwood flooring.
3. Hot wash all your bedding, including blankets, pillowcases and sheets, on a weekly basis at a minimum 130oF.
4. Don’t use a dry broom for sweeping the floor close to your mattress. It will easily kick the dust up into the air, which will make dust mites from it fall right on your bed. A better way to clean the floor and manage the dust mites near your mattress is using a damp rag or mop.
5. Finally, spray treatments containing tannic acid onto your mattress in order to control their activity. Such products won’t kill dust mites themselves, but will de-activate the fecal matter which is exactly what causes many allergies.